Wednesday 2 December 2009

The Gown Hunt part 1

I have looked at so many gowns online... everything looks either the same or just out-rightly wrong...

All the bridal shops seem to be out of town... luton... Worcestershire.. Kent... Hartford...Liverpool! am i going to travel round the world to get a gown?

then i found Pronovias and in an earlier post i promised Baroque i would exchange my kidney for a Pronovias gown... they are elegance personified!

So I decided to go try some wedding gowns at the Pronovias section at Harrods. My friend and i agreed on a date... a Saturday afternoon... ignorant bride to be that i am!

A few hours to the trip to the store, I got an epiphany and decided to call the store - and next thing i heard was "we are sorry, but you have to book an appointment and right now we are booked till January!"

what! are there so many people getting married? i thought the economy had taken a downturn! what is wrong with these people! dont i walk into Gap and Next to try jeans? pshew...

so no gown trying that sunny Saturday....I was a bit put out!

I got to work on Monday and a colleague in similar shoes said "you dont know there is a long queue at Harrods?" you have to book months ahead for a bridal fitting in most bridal shops! especially ones that stock Pronovias"

i didn't know that!... what's the big deal anyway... its just a puffy white gown by some Spaniard!

Deep down inside me i was thinking what kinda bride is Tyger? why am i treating my gown purchase like a jeans purchase?... i dont even know bridal etiquette... i moaned to my boo... he brushed it off and said ..."dont mind them, you can always get a gown later"

Men! he is missing the point....

anyway not one to miss a challenge... i started calling the Harrods Pronovias regularly... until i became a familiar spirit... sorry... voice! one afternoon they called and said we have an opening in two weeks...and we know you really want a fitting soon... its a 5pm slot though!

now you are talking! where you na put name before... i agreed to the date...

i rounded up my girlfriends and we set off for gown trying and champagne at Harrods, one dusky evening....

11 comments:

Myne said...

Reminds me when I had to buy my gown around this time last year. I tot it was walk in get fitted, get gown in 2 - 6 weeks. LOL. The shortest appointment I got was also 2months, one shop said 6mths. I was saved by the Christmas sales...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, are we getting the viewing pictures?

Tinu said...

owww...goodluck!! just remember to have fun with it!!

Dupe said...

.......and....
Oya continue..am enjoying the gist...
How are u doing dear? bet its going better than plans..

The Activist said...

waoh!

Tyger said...

@myne
christmas sales? you bought your gown off the racks? you are such a lucky thing!

"rethots
we were not allowed to take pictures oh! but my friend sneaked a few! will get them and post

@tintin
yes oh

@dupe
ok i shall

aloted said...

i was just going to ask u wen u didn't call me to tag along..but then i rememeber i have a reason why i would have said no- Princess! hehehe

I also bought my gown off the racks- on sale! tee hee

oya post those pictures quick...

Tyger said...

@aloted

lol... yeye girl... off the rack? that is cool...

bArOquE said...

a big name wey kill small dog oh...go & find that rack wher all these women found their gowns & buy one, no one will notice anything about your gown unless it is ugly...we dont need you roaming about town with only one kidney.LOL...miss you too

Tyger said...

@baroque
wait na! tory dey unveil! no i dont want to do off the rack jo!

aloted said...

why u no wan do off the rack...ehn?? enu e ti fe a bi??? lol